An elderly person (80+) , falls every 10 seconds in the UK. * This means that around six elderly people fall every minute in the UK, equating to around 8,500 falls a day.
How can you prevent falls:
- immediately mop up spillages
- remove clutter, trailing wires and frayed carpet
- use non-slip mats and rugs
- make sure all rooms, passages and staircases are well lit
- organising your home so that climbing, stretching and bending are kept to a minimum, and to avoid bumping into things
- getting help to do things you are unable to do safely on your own
- not walking on slippery floors in socks or tights
- not wearing loose-fitting, trailing clothes that might trip you up
- wearing well-fitting shoes that are in good condition and support the ankle
- taking care of your feet by trimming your toenails regularly and seeing a GP or podiatrist (foot health professional) about any foot problems
*From an analysis by TakingCare Personal Alarms.